I leave for Hong Kong in about 48 hours! I can't believe this is it. There are still days I wake up in a cold sweat in disbelief that we've made this commitment. As I've said in previous blogs, reality sets in and we can still say with confidence that we feel called to this. I leave for Hong Kong late Thursday night. See attached flight schedule for those of you who have been asking:
CX829 12Oct Toronto 2340, Hong Kong 0650+2
CX713 14Oct Hong Kong, 0855 Bangkok 1030
CX712 15Oct Bangkok 1610, Hong Kong 1955
Yes! That's right, I'm going to Bangkok. I know some of you think I'm intense... Even I'll admit that the first few days will be a little crazy. I'm basically leaving Toronto Thursday night and flying straight through to Bangkok with a short 2 1/2 hour stopover in Hong Kong to arrive in Bangkok at 10:30AM Saturday (local time). I'm going to attend a meeting with EY country leads. Lunch starts at noon with the meeting to start around 1:30pm. They say that first impressions are very important. Well... my first time meeting most of the country leaders will be after about 24 hours of travel time! We'll see how things go, I'm hoping adrenaline will prevail! I should get Sunday off in Bangkok before catching a late afternoon flight to Hong Kong. I start work in Hong Kong on Monday the 16th!
This past Thanksgiving weekend was packed full of activities. It seemed like one of my last times to spend time with the people that we care about, at least for a while. Babysitting our godsons, spending time with T and her husband, immediate family dinner and even a family wedding on Monday! Friends at the bank held a farewell luncheon for me with some Canadian paraphernalia as well as a Montblanc pen (model 10456 for those pen fans out there). Tomorrow night Sandra is planning this event at church with friends from church. Its been a meaningful few days.
I had a good conversation with a coworker today that has summed up a lot of how I've been feeling. I'm seeing how this journey creates the necessity for us to pull away from almost everything that we've been so involved in. In this process, you really learn to value those things that are important to you and also realize those things that we've spent so much energy on that are not so important. There's a part of me that hopes the two or three years goes by quickly and we can "come back". However, it also comes with a fear of "rationalizing" coming back rather than being "called" to come back. These are questions that we don't have to answer right away, but it does make us learn to value where we spent our time, energy, money, etc. This is one of those rare times in your life where you can start with a relatively clean slate. Will you keep us accountable through your e-mails, phone calls and prayers in the months to come? Things with the move are coming together quickly. I feel like after tomorrow night, I'll be as ready to go as I'll ever be. Time to move out of this time in "lingo" and focus on the new space that we've chosen. The next two months will be a very different lifestyle in Hong Kong. I'll be completely thrown into a new environment with very little routine. I was reminded tonight in a nice last minute dinner meeting with a good friend that at times I'm an introvert striving to do extrovert things. That is how I current expect my time in Hong Kong will be like. It will be a time to build up relationships with the EY Hong Kong team as well as connect with each of the EY Implementation Teams in the various Asian countries. From a personal perspective, it'll be a chance to catch up with old and new friends who are in Hong Kong. It'll be different eating out all the time and "networking". I hope that it will be a healthy balance of spending time with new co-workers, Christian friends and time to reflect on my own. I even have hopes of making some connections with Habitat for Humanity Hong Kong (www.habitatchina.org)!
Sandra is taking Thursday off so that will give us some time to finish packing and clean-up the mess I've made of the house in the past few days. Packing shouldn't be a big deal at this point. I'm basically bringing as many clothes and personal items I can fit into two 70lb suitcases (one of the benefits of flying Cathay as opposed to Air Canada which only allows 50lbs)! The house seems to be in order. There's a few lingering house projects, including a major regrading of the back of our house for water prevention. If any of you out there have some free time to support Sandra in my absence, we'd both really appreciate it, but don't feel obligated. You have all been a great support to date!
Signing off... The next time I blog hopefully it'll be safely from my room at the YWCA (http://hotel.ywca.org.hk/eng/YWCABuilding/YWCABuilding_location.htm). Our good from Michael lives one minute away so if its not too late he'll give me the scoop on the neighbourhood. More to come in the next few weeks.
ray
Below are pictures of my farewell lunch with friends at BMO (there was another table, but somehow the picture got lost (sorry!). Building personal relations at BMO has certainly been different from EY. I have learned a lot, but also must admit that after two years, I have only scratched the surface. There are a few people that I would like to continue to build on our friendship. In the end, I'm glad I took a step away from the firm and glad I lasted my two year commitment to do so. The bank has been good to me, I think I'm just wired differently.
1 comment:
God speed to both of you. But to Ray first, I guess, since you're leaving in 24 hrs. It's sad to see more and more ppl I love leave, but I am joyous in seeing you guys realize your Godly gifts, and using them in a faituful way.
If you need help with anything around the house, even moping up the extra water, let me know. I'm serious! All I've got is time. :P
Go HfH!
Post a Comment