"My life is but a weaving, between my God and me.
I do not choose the colours, He worketh steadily.
Offtimes he weaves sorrow, and I in foolish pride,
Forget He sees the upper, and I the underside.
Not till the loom is silent and shuttles cease to fly
Will God unroll the canvas and explain the reason why.
The dark threads are as needful in the skilful weaver's hand
As the threads of gold and silver in the pattern He has planned."
Although the above poet more New Age, I loved the way he wrote these lines in his poem. It totally conveys my awe at how masterfully God crafts each of our lives.
So I've signed a contract and after my police check I will be officially hired by Morrison Academy - Bethany Campus from July 1, 2007 - July 1, 2008. It's really quite a beautiful facility and through the hiring process both Ray & I have been thoroughly impressed with their thoroughness in hiring and their professionalism as a school. Everything from their recruiting video, their website, their Taiwan handbook for those just landing, and their understanding of Visas has been very thorough and informative. (Here's a glimpse if you're interested: http://www.mca.org.tw/index.cfm?id=244). I was actually interviewed 3 times before I was hired. Once by the recruiting officer for my character and faith, once with the principal for more curriculum and classroom focus, and once with the superintendent for the final approval.When visiting the school I was first given a tour to meet all the teachers (it was very nice to be welcomed and to actually see the school). The principal (An English speaking German, born in Taiwan) was extremely friendly and warm. He made me feel very comfortable to be myself and share about my interests and passions.
It really hit me that God had prepared this job for me and me for the job when I saw the SMARTBoard in the library. For those who don't know what it is I'm not going to bore you with my regular passionate rant, but it's basically an interactive whiteboard that connects to your computer and works like a touch screen. It's an AMAZING tool for teaching. (http://www.smarttech.com). SMARTBoard is just one of the companies that make interactive whiteboards. There are others, but SMARTBoard is Canadian.
Anyways, back to the story. You see, the day before the interview I was negotiating with Ray that maybe we can invest in a projector and a SMARTBoard during the year I was teaching at Morrison and then when we leave we'll just leave the equipment as a donation for the school. So I was going to ask the principal if he would be okay with that. Well before I even had a chance he showed me the SMARTBoard and said their school was going to be piloting SMARTBoard's beginning Fall 2007. One will be in every classroom. I was just shocked. One of the things that I was missing most about my school back in Toronto was that I left the school just when they were starting the interactive whiteboard pilot school-wide. I had been using the interactive whiteboard for about over a year now and thought it was an amazing tool, but to see other teachers use it too was so exciting. I was sad that I missed out on all the excitement.
It's not that the SMARTBoard was a be all and end all thing, but everything weaved together so beautifully. I was leaving a great principal in Toronto, I would be working with one in Taiwan. No interactive whiteboard, one in Taiwan. Working with a great team in Toronto, principal wants to build a team dynamic in Taiwan. Teaching grade 4 in Toronto, Grade 4 in Taiwan. Christian support at school in Toronto, well...it's a Christian school in Taiwan! AND, on the school's perspective they were looking for a teacher to take a 1 year contract for the Grade 4 teacher and it worked out perfectly that I only wanted a 1 year contract.
I felt like God was teaching me that just because He wants you to be ABLE and WILLING to give things up, He doesn't necessarily NEED you to give it up. He is truly a master Craftsman!
1 comment:
Amazing!!! yay! Can't wait to come & visit you guys!
Post a Comment