Linking our Blog

PLEASE, can we ask that those of you who enjoy our blog, not put a public link to our blog from your website/blog? See January 24, 2007 entry for some further thoughts on this. Thanks for understanding.

Friday, January 05, 2007

Oh the Places You'll Go

"Congratulations!
Today is your day.
You're off to Great Places!
You're off and away!
So...
be your name Buxbaum or Bixby or Bray
or Mordecai Ali Van Allen O'Shea,
you're off to Great Places!
Today is your day!
Your mountain is waiting.
So...get on your way!" - Dr. Seuss

We've landed and arrived safely in Taiwan. Thank you for all of your prayers.

We're currently staying at the Howard Green Suite Hotel in Chang Chun Road and we have our own kitchen, living room and internet access! Hooray!

Ray left for Malaysia really early this morning so I was left to fend for myself today. It was surprisingly quiet. After being around people for so many days (as a teacher, at home with visitors, on the plane) it was all of a sudden very strange to be wandering the city all quiet. I wouldn't say that I felt lonely...not yet,but it was definitely quieter. Lots of time to think and reflect.

I decided to walk around the hotel area, explore the MRT system, visit the Taiwan Normal University, inquire a little about apartment rentals, AND do a little grocery shopping. It was actually quite a full day but it felt quite leisurely because I was taking my time. People in Taiwan are very friendly and actually quite casual. Though there are still those who quite trendy in their dress, there are many who wear ripped jeans, khakis, and even jogging pants (although this was a school uniform)!

I am excited about the newness of everything, and some familiarity in the fact that things are in Chinese, but as weird as it sounds I'm a little culture shocked to see so many Chinese people. It's so different to not be a visible minority anymore. You don't really realize how much being a minority affects your perspective in life. It's late right now but I leave you with a couple of pictures from my travels today.


This is the skeleton of our life essentials right here.


Street view of National Taiwan Normal University.


This is where I'll hopefully go to school. (Shi-Da)

No comments: