Linking our Blog

PLEASE, can we ask that those of you who enjoy our blog, not put a public link to our blog from your website/blog? See January 24, 2007 entry for some further thoughts on this. Thanks for understanding.

Monday, October 06, 2008

I am free!...or not...

Main Entry: free·dom
Pronunciation: \ˈfrē-dəm\
Function: noun
1: the quality or state of being free: as
a: the absence of necessity, coercion, or constraint in choice or action
b
: liberation from slavery or restraint or from the power of another : independence
c
: the quality or state of being exempt or released usually from something onerous <freedom from care>
d
: ease , facility freedom>
e: the quality of being frank, open, or outspoken freedom>
f: improper familiarity
g: boldness of conception or execution
h
: unrestricted use freedom of their home>

So my "Zuo Yue Zi" time is up. It's been up for about 13 days now. In the meantime I've had several opportunities to go out. I've gone shopping several times, cleaned my teeth at the dentist, visited the library at school, gone to a baptism service for a student, seen the doctor, gone to the Canadian Trade office and had a fancy dinner celebrating Kasper's 1 month. I've even managed to do several of these things on my own without my dad as a chaperone! Yes...I would say I'm more free.

BUT...on the other hand if freedom entails the "absence of constraint in choice of action"
  • I'm still not allowed to have cold vegetables.
  • Cold drinks are frowned upon.
  • I have to sneak out to eat my ice cream. (do you see a trend?...)
  • I have to eat Chinese concoctions for healing at every meal.
  • I'm not allowed to take Kasper out for fear of germs.
SO.... maybe I'm not so free after all. But then are any of us really?

Galations 5:1 " 1It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery."

I guess it depends on how you define freedom.

2 comments:

shelley said...

Sandra,
I am astounded by the number of rules surrounding childbirth. Did your mom follow all these rules when you were a baby?? I guess it enables mom and baby bonding.

Sandra said...

I'm not sure how many rules my mom followed but the common phrase seems to be "Well it might be tradition, but it's better safe than sorry!" And so I follow....