Linking our Blog

PLEASE, can we ask that those of you who enjoy our blog, not put a public link to our blog from your website/blog? See January 24, 2007 entry for some further thoughts on this. Thanks for understanding.

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Poop-obsessed!

Kasper will be 2 months old tomorrow! Hooray! Here is a picture of Kasper during his tummy time! He's working very hard, but it's hard to tell with his face stuck to the mattress.



So how is Kasper doing? (I've been asked that question a lot lately since many people have not seen me since my post-labour hibernation.) Hmmm...how do I answer that question?

- He eats very well. He's definitely his father's son.
- He is pretty easy to take care of and fusses very little.
- He slept through the night from 11pm - almost 6am for the 1st time last night!!! Woohoo!
- He can sleep very well on his own with very little comforting. Just turn on that mobile and he's set to go!
- He loves bath time and coos a lot as soon as daddy puts him in the warm water.

BUT.... (you knew there was a but coming right?!)

HIS POOP DRIVES ME CRAZY! I know I'm not the only mother who obsesses over their babies poo, but I never thought I'd be like this! I breastfeed Kasper and according to all books and websites that I've read, "normal" breastfed babies have yellow-mustardy poop that can range in consistency from creamy, seedy to curdly. This is what it should look like.



Well 2 weeks ago we had a little scare with Kasper's poop and there was a little bit of blood in his poop. So we brought him to the hospital and we ended up staying there for 3 nights with an IV stuck in Kasper's arm, as we waited for the lab results on whether there was severe bacterial infection. It was not very pleasant. In the end, the doctor said it was normal intestinal bacteria that was causing the diarrhea and we were given antibiotics and sent home. Eventually his poop returned back to normal.

Well a few days ago, Kasper's poop turned greenish AGAIN! But this time it was frothy (which is really similar to mucousy from my point of view). I am now OBSESSED with his bowel movements. Each bowel movement sets my heart a-racing. As I feed him I listen to the sound and feel the pressure and force of his poop as it ejects from his rectum. I've researched the symptoms on countless websites and narrowed it down to either foremilk/hindmilk imbalance or an allergy to something I've eaten. And even though I've talked to so many people and read so many websites that have said it's nothing to be too concerned about, it would really really really help if Kasper's poop will just be "normal" again!

SIGH!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey- That shirt looks familiar!
As for poop, at least he's pooping! I was worried when Joel stopped pooping for 10 days when he was 2 months old

Will said...

eww!!! mustard poop! lol. haha.. did you take pictures of his "unnormal" poop? :O