It's a sunny Friday afternoon in Taipei and I'm enjoying a rare day off at home with Kasper. Sandra is in Hong Kong attending and presenting a workshop at the International Children Educator Conference with the Association of Christian Schools International. An interesting linkage is that my firms Area Managing Partner is one of the plenary speakers!
Living and working in Asia continues to be fast paced. We often have to remind ourselves of why we are here in order to maintain some control and focus in our lives. For the most part, the intensity, challenge, constant change and grassroots nature of live here suits who we are and where we are in our lives at this moment.
I have lost track of how my own "work" has evolved and changed. In less than two years, I have had continually evolving and changing roles, positions and challenges ranging from an area focus to a Taiwan / Greater China focus, from employee to Partner, from learning to people/HR and how from support to client service. Yes, that's right! I'm moving from the internal HR role to a client service and operational leadership role. I have however, told my team that the firm and personal objectives (being building up the people learning and development processes, culture and investment) stay the same - I'm only approaching it from a different role.
When people ask if I ever regretted coming to Taiwan my confident answer is no. It still never ceases to amaze me the exposure and things that both Sandra and I have had an opportunity to be involved in. Let me give use last week as an example of our life here.. though not every week is like this. Some are routine and some are simply unusual!
Usual Daily Routine with Kasper:
9:30pm - Ray helps Kasper take a bath - this is Kasper and daddy time (with mommy helpinging!)
10:00pm - Sandra gives Kasper his last feeding for the day (clearly this is Kasper and mommy time)
10:30pm - We usually have some quiet family time and read Kasper the children's Bible and pray. Kasper goes to sleep until 6am! (yes, we are blessed we know!)
6:00am - Kasper feeding and changing. We play with him a little (he is happiest at this time!)
6:45 / 7:00am - Ray and Sandra leave for work together
In the evening, we usually have dinner closer to 7:30pm.
Typical Day at Work
There's no such thing as a typical day at work. Everyday seems eventful and I've learned that most of days will be scheduled with meetings and if not scheduled, then unscheduled meetings will come up. What kind of meetings? Anything ranging from signing off on a new policy, meeting a potential candidate, dealing with an operational issue, meeting with potential client, etc. I love most days at work. There are always disappointments, frustrations and issues. However, every day is also balanced with seeing the impact of change and lives impacted. Being responsible for HR has its challenges in this environment. With a firm of 1,300 people you will inevitably have underperformers. Its not fun dealing with these situations, but at the same time, it reminds me of the critical importance of apply not only the firm's values in approach such situations, but also a Bibically based approach to people.
Some highlights last week from work:
- Made contact with a Taiwanese client target - all in Chinese! Had great anxiety over this, but somehow it worked out and we have the opportunity to propose for some work!
- Attending our annual Entrepreneur of the Year Gala and enjoyed an evening with all of the top university professors and educators in Taiwan. Highlight of the evening - meeting the Vice President of Taiwan - Vincent Siew (蕭萬長). To be honest, a great amount of my attention that evening was eyeing the Taiwanese Secret Service - to the point where I think they started getting suspicious everytime I reached under my tux to check my Blackberry!
- Attending our internal IFRS (International Financial Reporting Standard) accreditation course. This isn't the intense part of the story - the intense part of the story is that a week before, I was presented as the IFRS expert in Taiwan!
- Thursday lunch - our Managing Partner and I met with and agreed a significant scholarship and exchange program with one of the top universities in Taiwan. These students will be the future leaders of our firm and Taiwan business society (so we hope)
- Friday - interview with reporter on our firm's changes and strategy in the midst of the Global financial crisis. Its hard to believe that most reporters in Taiwan have limited English ability and its even harder to believe that the firm will allow me with my limited Chinese to be out there talking about the firm. I've actually had quite a few media hits in the last year - Google 周理恆 (my Chinese name) if you're interested.
On Wednesday nights I will have Chinese class at the office and Sandra has women's group. Saturday mornings are also Chinese class for Ray, but often skipped. Last Saturday I skipped to join Kasper in his play date with his 5 month old friend E.
To top off an already intense week - after hanging out with Kasper and E on Saturday morning, I drive to the airport and hop on a plane to HK. Its the wedding ceremony and party of the Partner who was instrumental in setting up this Taiwan opportunity - my previous boss and friend. Its a short trip to HK, get there just in time for the ceremony at Pier 7 and after a fun evening of -observing- Scottish dancing and music, hanging out with friends I'm back on the 11pm plane back to Taipei. Two years ago would I have thought I would be blogging about going to HK for a wedding day trip? Its a pleasant surprise at the HK airport when they say Mr. Chow, we have upgraded you to Business Class (I was booked on the absolute lowest cost fare)! As I ease into my seat and sip on ice cold Pierrier (there is no need for any additional alcohol at this point in the evening) I can't help by say thanks to God for what he has blessed us with over the past two years.
I'll end off by attaching this article that was published in the paper this morning. I didn't know this article was going to come out. Apparently, the reporter from Economic Daily was so impressed with my story she pushed to get it published. So here it is! Unfortunately, they spelled Kasper's name wrong (should be 周建樂). In hindsight, if I had know, I would have tried harder to share our testimony and why we're here.... but that would be just a little too "greedy".
ray
http://udn.com/NEWS/FINANCE/FIN12/4620765.shtml

Here's another article in Career Magazine on the topic of leadership and different types of leaders:
3 comments:
*shakes head in disbelief*
haha.
Amazing... praise God! :)
cool! Ray's a star! :D What does the article entail?
Also, you're doing HR? So no more teaching? I'm really behind in your updates. :(
It's quite a thing you got going with the conference call/prayer meetings. Nice work!
Post a Comment