Linking our Blog

PLEASE, can we ask that those of you who enjoy our blog, not put a public link to our blog from your website/blog? See January 24, 2007 entry for some further thoughts on this. Thanks for understanding.

Saturday, March 10, 2007

Back to School

School Morning
School is waiting
Can't be late.
Hurry! Hurry!
Half-past eight.
Out the door
And down the street,
Then softly, quietly,
Take your seat.

I've started my Mandarin classes, and it's been so busy that I have abandoned blogging for a week! I miss the rhythm that I had while not working. Now I have to find a new beat to my life. I'm a pretty schedule-oriented person and so without some kind of organization in my life I feel lost. Hopefully I'll find my groove soon enough.

Today is a little bit of a catch up day with blogging, reflecting, resting, e-mailing and doing some house things. I can see why being at home can be a full time job!

But ... I do enjoy my classes a lot. I feel like my Mandarin is improving already. Our first chapter is about going to the bank. So I now how to say "Credit card", "ATM card", "bank account", and "killing 2 birds with 1 stone". My Cantonese accent is still creeping in every now and then when I speak so that I am officially the worst student in the class! It's a little bit of a humbling experience for me considering that I'm about 7-10 years older than most of my classmates, most of them aren't regularly "good" students (several have repeated school), and I've ALWAYS been a good student throughout my life. I'm also learning a lot about going out of my comfort zone and loving people that are quite different from me (i.e. younger, American, party-goers, living the student lifestyle). I'm really looking forward to the next 3 months with my classmates.

No comments: