Linking our Blog

PLEASE, can we ask that those of you who enjoy our blog, not put a public link to our blog from your website/blog? See January 24, 2007 entry for some further thoughts on this. Thanks for understanding.

Monday, April 06, 2009

Hairwashes

Okay this blog entry is for my friend M who keeps joking about my lack of cultural immersion because my 1st hairwash was the day before I delivered Kasper.

Well....I'm proud to say that I'm now at 3 hairwash experiences now...2 1/2 years later.

So here's some background. Back in Canada it is just not common to go to a salon and get a hairwash. I mean get a blow dry or a style sure...but a hairwash?! They just stick you in a sink and put fancy shampoo on you. Nothing special. I would definitely NOT pay $20+ to get a hairwash at a salon. So coming to Taiwan, I didn't think much of getting a hairwash either!

But then, after working at Bethany, I kept hearing about my colleagues going to get a hairwash every 2-3 weeks. I just didn't get it! I mean spending money on great food I can understand, but on a hairwash?!!!

Well...it was not until my first hairwash the day before Kasper was born did I BEGIN to understand. In Taiwan, and I think in Asia, it's a totally different experience. They sit you down on a chair, squirt shampoo in your hair and then gently massage you for a good 15-20 minutes while you're relaxing, chatting with your friends, enjoying some shut-eye, sipping tea, or reading a magazine. Then you get another little massage treatment at the sink, and then to top it off, you get a nice little styling for your hair. I'm not sure if you saw my day before labour picture but my hair was looking PRE-TTY nice that day. Here it is, just in case you missed it.



However, as nice as it was, $260NTD (~$9 Cdn) still seemed a bit extravagant for me so I haven't gone much since. Until I found out there was a place doing it for $100NTD (~$4 Cdn). This is the deal-hunting side of me getting all excited. Well, I decided to try it out with 2 co-workers one day. Let's just say...it was pretty close to the hairwash experiences in Canada. It was NOT great!

I felt like I really needed to redeem myself from this totally "lemon" experience and so 3 weeks ago I think I found it. This salon called "Bess" had a HUGE sign advertising $99NTD for a hairwash, every Monday-Thursday from 1-3pm. I mean, for being so specific it HAS to be pretty good right?

Well M braved the storm with me today, and we had MD join us too. It was not as great as the $260NTD one, but I think I've redeemed myself. It was a pretty good deal. Nice massage, good sink wash experience (massage chair), tea included, but only so-so styling.

I would say...I FOUND my deal! :) Yay!

1 comment:

Marcy said...

Yes, Sandra! You found a great bargain, and I feel blessed that I got to experience the better of your two bargains:) Now, if we can only figure out how to get a long lunch--we're set:) Thanks for a fun day....I love a good excuse for a hairwashing!