Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, To God's elect, strangers in the world, scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia and Bithynia, who have been chosen according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through the sanctifying work of the Spirit, for obedience to Jesus Christ and sprinkling by his blood: Grace and peace be yours in abundance.
I'm in my 5th day of being at my Pre-Field Orientation in Houghton, New York (How do YOU pronounce Houghton?). It has been one of the most amazing training sessions that I've ever attended. The speakers are passionate and knowledgeable, everything has been really well organized and planned out, the whole conference is based on sound research, the information is extremely relevant to our new experiences in Taiwan, and we even get 3 sessions of one-on-one meetings with an Advisor! It has also been an amazing experience getting to meet my new colleagues and fellow missionaries.
I think I've come to terms that we ARE missionaries. Though we don't always feel like it, we are really contributing to the mission work in Taiwan. I guess technically we were missionaries in Toronto too, but somehow it's harder to think of ourselves as so when in Toronto.
I've digested a lot about myself these past few days. I'm always identity searching, perhaps because I'm so confused about who I am so it was only fitting that as I attended an important conference at one of the junctures of change that I should be identity searching again. I have definitely learned a lot about myself and Ray through doing various personality tests, through hearing stories and through the words of my advisor B. I feel like many of the things that we have been going through this past year makes a lot more sense now.
Today the topic was singleness. How relevant a topic when in the mission field. Whether it be for our single friends who really need to come to terms with this struggle, or for the couples (married/unmarried), we all need to realize that we are one body, and that we are all serving in God's kingdom.
Most comforting has been our bible studies on 1Peter. I never realized that the audience of that letter was to people like Ray and I. People who are aliens to a new culture! I mean we do have cards in Taiwan stating that we are "Aliens" (our ARC - Alien Resident Card)! What a blessing to know that God has words specifically for us.
I look forward to the rest of the conference and hopefully I'll get to share a little more but here is a picture of all the new hires going to Morrison academy this year in various parts of Taiwan. Many of us are becoming fast friends. :)
Sandra
P.S. So the Americans here pronounce "Houghton" as "HOE-TON". How would you know?!
No comments:
Post a Comment