Linking our Blog

PLEASE, can we ask that those of you who enjoy our blog, not put a public link to our blog from your website/blog? See January 24, 2007 entry for some further thoughts on this. Thanks for understanding.

Thursday, April 05, 2007

Still Looking for Board Games...

Okay, here's my attempt at a short post. We had an unexpected last minute visitor from Toronto who happened to come to Taipei on a cheap Hong Kong tour. We met him near his hotel which is in a "not so nice anymore" area of Taipei and decided to go to the "Snake Alley" night market (Huaxi). All of us don't really like snakes, and I'm quite frankly, afraid of them!

We walked half way down the alley and decided we weren't enjoying the experience and turned back. As I was half talking to our friend B and half trying to avoid eye contact with any of the snakes or snake handlers, Sandra says "hey guys, let's go look here".

I see this shop selling DVDs of ... well there's no other way of putting it.. porn and Sandra walking right into it. There's no denying that there's a table full of DVDs with skin all over the cover and a not so discrete Hello Kitty cloth screen door (sorry Helly Kitty fans!) and Sandra walking right into it. I'm thinking - what are you doing and I'm not going into a porn shop in the middle of Snake Alley! It took Sandra about 30 seconds to catch-up to our observations and she quickly turned around embarassed.

Poor Sandra was quite embarassed. She saw something she thought resembled board games and thought this was a board game store.

Huaxi night market is one of the oldest and now darkest night markets in Taipei... I won't elaborate on the details.. but the experience was very short and we feel we don't need to explore much further. Perhaps this may be an answer to the question on my last blog entry on counterfit board games (which I'm still not convinced exist)... we're literally being "deceived" by the dark side!

Quite sad to see a darker side of Taipei... its also clear from city government policy that this area is not where money is invested (at the other extreme is the 101 Building / Xinyi area where lots is being invested).

No pictures for the post today!

1 comment:

Will said...

HAHAAHAH THAT IS GOLDEN!! HILARIOUS..